Sunday, April 5, 2009

A prayer answered


On Mother's Day in 2004 a miracle happened.  An Icon of St. Anna located in Philadelphia began to stream myrrh.  St. Anna, according to church history was the mother of Mary, the Theotokos (Mother of God) and therefore, was the grandmother to Christ.  This Icon was noticed to have droplets on it and then later the fragrant myrrh began to stream as tears.  Many miracles have now happened because of this miraculous Icon.  

As Orthodox Christians we believe in praying to saints.  The word "pray" means "to ask."  And therefore, we pray and ask for the saints to intercede before God for us.  For us, it is like asking somebody in church to pray for us except that the person we are asking is known to be a righteous saint in heaven with Christ.

Icons are called windows into heaven.  We are able to view depictions of Christ, Mary and the saints and it is a reminder to us of those who are heaven.  In history, there have been many miracles that have happened because of special Icons.

The first time that I was able to see the Icon of St. Anna was in 2005 when it visited our parish.  It was then that I approached Fr. Athanasy, the priest who is the protector of the Icon, and told him of my wish to have a child.  He told me to ask St. Anna to intercede for me so that I could bear a child but that if I should have a girl, I should name her Anna.

I have since venerated and prayed many times before this Icon that God would allow me to bear a healthy child.  After waiting many years, God found that it was the right time and we were given my precious son, Dimitri (Who would have been Anna had he been a girl.)  Everyday I look at my son with a heart filled with love and gratefulness.

Like Hannah of old, I prayed and God granted me a child.  I hope too to always show my child how to love God and serve Him.  For this reason I have decided to try to start this blog.  To share how my son is growing and the miracle he is.  And also to see how he changes as we follow the church calendar through it's cycle of services.

For more information about the Icon of St Anna: http://churchofourlady.org/anna_icon.html
For a podcast with Fr. Athanasy:Direct Link (right-click to download)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, wow...really nice Bethany...a very beautiful story and explanation of Orthodox theology also. I like that you started the blog. I am looking forward to more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have a blog Mat. Bethany. I started one and have lots and lots to post, but then don't have the energy and I don't even have my boy yet! lol

    Anyways there are LOTS of Orthodox mom bloggers I've found. You should go to Orthodox Mother's Digest http://orthodoxmothersdigest.blogspot.com/ and have her add you to the blogroll.

    ReplyDelete